Walk-through energy assessment
Regional Energy Coaches (RECs) will provide virtual walk-through energy assessments —free of charge—to community housing providers throughout Canada. They will “accompany” you on a tour of your building to compile information about energy-saving opportunities. From there, your coach will direct you to appropriate resources and suggest follow-up steps, such as funding and incentive programs.
Walk-through energy assessments are often used as the first step in accessing funding from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Sustainable Affordable Housing offer.
What you will need
- A person to physically walk through your building (preferably a property manager or superintendent)
- A smartphone with access to wi-fi or data throughout the building
- The last 12 months of utility bills
- Access to common spaces, a typical tenant or member unit and all mechanical rooms
* Note: if any of the above are not possible, please reach out to Hope Jamieson at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will work to accommodate any constraints you may face.
A Regional Energy Coach will send you some basic information about the walk-through energy assessment. We will then reserve a time together to perform the process. We ask you to reserve 60 to 90 minutes. Using Microsoft Teams, a REC will video call you and will guide you through the process, asking to see specific areas and equipment. After the assessment, the REC will put together a report outlining areas of energy waste or inefficiency and suggesting appropriate resources and next steps.
* Note: All walk-through assessments are done remotely.
Regional Energy Coaches will recommend whether to proceed with an application for funding from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Sustainable Affordable Housing offer. To do so, a REC will work with your organization in the preparation of a business case. A REC may recommend that your organization undergo an energy audit with a certified professional as part of an application for capital funding from SAH. Grants to help finance this audit are available through the SAH Studies option.