The Plancher Fund, a solution
to Quebec’s housing crisis
Working together is the best way to tackle the crisis. In our society, however, collective land ownership is put at a disadvantage by many tax and civil laws, while private and speculative land ownership is encouraged and supported.
Plancher is proposing to revolutionize this by giving the community sector the same advantages enjoyed by the for-profit sector.
The Plancher Fund is the culmination of a large-scale conversation involving many stakeholders in Quebec’s community housing sector. Asset pooling has quickly become the way forward in order to:
Transform financing methods for affordable housing in Quebec
Provide access to housing outside the speculative market for a growing number of people
Create a fund to boost affordable and community housing
The Plancher Fund suggests pooling the real estate assets of housing cooperatives and non-profits to boost the power of community housing. It would be possible to maintain and increase the number of social and community housing units with greater agility and more resources.
The Plancher Fund will make it possible to:
Change the scope
of our operations
Create leverage equal to our ambitions
- Renovation projects carried out by participating cooperatives and NFPOs
- Acquisition of buildings dedicated to community housing
- Construction of community housing and land reclamation projects
Benefits for all Plancher Fund stakeholders
Housing cooperatives and NFPOs
Put the money dormant in the brick and mortar of your buildings to work to generate income and savings.
- Generate a return of 1% of the value of the properties you invested in the fund
- Take out renovation loans at interest rates that are 1% to 1.5% below market rates
Community housing developers
Benefit from financing that simplifies and fast-tracks your acquisition and construction projects.
- Take out loans at interest rates that are 1% to 1.5% below market rates
- Take advantage of an enhancement fund to support land acquisition and development costs
- Access forgivable loans
Simplify, fast-track and change the scale of your intervention:
- Enjoy a bonus on your investments. For every dollar invested, Plancher allocates five to local projects
- Finance projects in your area according to your contribution to the fund
- Speed up the turnover of acquired land with the right of first refusal
Complementary investors and financial institutions
Help fight the housing crisis by investing in Plancher :
- Support the large-scale development of community housing
- Increase your business opportunities with value-adding loans
- Meet your ESG objectives through a simple investment solution
News about the Plancher Fund
Our March 15th webinar on Plancher and its financing tools sparked a lot of interest and many questions. We’ve collected and summarized all the questions that were sent to us during the presentation, and by email. Many of these questions are complex, but we’ve tried...
Les activités entourant la démarche Plancher vont bon train. Plus de 35 partenaires incluant des institutions financières, des regroupements du milieu des OBNL et des coopératives ainsi que des municipalités et des organismes philanthropiques sont à pied d’œuvre. Leur...
Watch the video here
Over 250 people representing more than 150 organizations registered to attend the launch of the Plancher Project. If you missed the event, you can watch the video recording and we invite you to share it in your networks.